Bold Insight conducts user experience and human factors research to better understand use-related needs and inform product design. We also design packaging, labeling, and instructional materials associated with those products. While our work extends across all industries, much of our work is in the healthcare space, impacting the design of medical devices used by millions of patients and healthcare providers worldwide. When you work in this space, you not only get the gratification of informing useful and usable product design – you get the added benefit of knowing that the products you help bring to market make a difference in the lives of patients, caregivers, and healthcare providers.
As a Senior Designer, you are responsible for various aspects of user-centered design engagements with our clients, including formatting and layout of instructions, print protoyping and iterative design updates for those instructions, packaging and labeling design, and applying visual design to research deliverables. You also help scope and inform sales proposal efforts, working directly with clients to recommend approaches to achieve design objectives and proposing timelines and budgets in-line with those approaches.
A key part of our project team, you actively participate in research engagements. You may also manage projects and project teams to ensure budget and timeline adherence and that client objectives are achieved. You will handle digital files, assets, and maintaining traceability records as instruction files change during a human-centered design process.
As a Senior Designer at Bold Insight, you will work directly with customers to capture, synthesize, and convert user research into concepts that differentiate products in the market.
Qualified candidates will be competent in some or all of the following areas, or will be committed to developing competence depending on experience level:
- Strong graphic design, page layout, illustration, and typography skills
- Proficiency with preparing deliverables for print, including knowledge of paper weights and sizes, color correction, and typography
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (strong knowledge of InDesign and Illustrator).
- Strong communication skills; a passion for collaborating with project teams internal and external
- Open to learning how to identify crucial information, accurate flow of information, and critical information to lessen the cognitive burden on users
- Willingness to become proficient at understanding human factors regulations, standards, and guidelines for medical devices and pharmaceutical labeling and packaging.
Experience & Requirements
A portfolio demonstrating strong visual design and strong packaging and print design skills is required to be considered for this role. Please submit this file or link to your portfolio when applying.
Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Communication Design, Interaction Design, or similar
3+ years of design experience, working in print and packaging.
Senior Designer (6-10 years)
This position requires the team member to hold a valid driver’s license. Driving may be required for in-person research. This requirement allows our resourcing team to remain flexible when assigning team members to projects.
Benefits and perks
All of our team members, both contract and full-time, enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive salary
- Employer-subsidized travel perks
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices incorporated into all organizational workstreams
- New hire Friendtor program
- Home office equipment & supplies
- Telecom reimbursement
- Team events
Working in our corporate office? We have a lot of fun in our casual, laid-back offices! Whether you’re primarily on-site or occasionally stopping by, you’ll enjoy even more benefits, including:
- Free snacks and drinks
- Office dogs
- Happy hours and in-person team events
- Espresso machines, need we say more?
- Choice of medical insurance programs (PPO, HSA & HMO)
- Dental and vision insurance plans
- Short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D
- Pet insurance
- Potential for employee ownership
- 401K matching
- [Beginning Jan 1, 2023] 100% employer-paid health insurance (dental and vision included) for full-time employees, 50% employer-paid for spouse/dependents
- Monthly bonus plan
- Loyalty bonuses, including an every 5-year travel perk — take a vacation on us!
- Philanthropy hours
- Industry-leading parental leave policy
- Conference attendance & professional development
- Holiday office closure, generous PTO, paid holidays, personal, and sick time
Think you’re a good fit?
All visitors are required to wear a mask while in our offices and labs. Due to vaccine requirements by some of our clients and vendors, employees and contractors must provide vaccination status to human resources. This includes proof of vaccination or medical or religious exemption (if applicable).
Note: In the future, we hope to welcome candidates who require a VISA to work in the US, however, at this time we are targeting US citizens to fill available positions.
We work in virtually every industry across hundreds of products.
With a mentorship-model training program, we support your short and long-term career goals.
Incredibly collaborative and supportive team and fun and casual work environment.
A friendly face to help you through virtual onboarding and beyond!