Senior UX Designer
Our medical device human factors practice makes up the largest single portion of our business. We conduct exploratory research to better understand use-related needs and inform the design of healthcare-related products and medical devices. We design packaging, labeling, and instructional materials associated with those products and devices. We also conduct human factors validation studies to ensure those products and devices can be used safely and effectively.
We work with a wide variety of products, including drug delivery devices, diagnostics, surgical tools and systems, packaging and labeling, and the digital assets and technology that augment healthcare in today’s world. When you work in this space, you not only get the gratification of informing useful and usable product design – you get the added benefit of knowing that the products you help bring to market make a real difference in the lives of patients, caregivers, and healthcare providers.
We are seeking a Senior UX Designer to support this medical device human factors practice, focusing primarily on the design of packaging, labeling, and instructions for use.
Our senior designers are responsible for various aspects of user-centered design engagements with our clients. They may lead scoping and proposal efforts, working directly with clients to recommend appropriate approaches to achieve design objectives, and propose timelines and budgets in-line with those approaches.
As we are a research-forward consultancy, it is critical that our senior UX designers are research-minded. In fact, we expect that our designers actively participate in research engagements for which there is a design component they will be responsible. Further, our designers may be active members of a research team with no direct connection to a design effort with an eye towards better understanding our research process and supporting our team.
Our senior designers manage projects and project teams to ensure adherence to budgets and timelines, as well as achievement of client objectives. They may participate in networking events, lead internal initiatives, and direct and mentor other designers and researchers.
Qualified candidates will be competent in some or all of the following areas, or will be committed to developing competence depending on experience level:
- Portfolio demonstrating strong visual design, information architecture, packaging and print design skills.
- Strong graphic design, page layout, illustration, typography, and instructional design skills.
- Instructional design experience including IFUs, including strong proficiency in rapid sketch illustration, digital line-art illustration, and image (photo) editing and layout.
- Excellence in visual design to promote quick and easy identification of crucial information, accurate flow of information, critical information to perform tasks while framing expectations to facilitate use, promote understanding and lessen the cognitive burden on users.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, XD or similar design software), and strong knowledge of InDesign paragraph and character styles.
- Proficiency with preparing deliverables for printing including knowledge of paper weights and sizes, color correction, and typography.
- Proficiency using low and high-fidelity prototypes to identify and eliminate potential use errors early in the development process (iterative design).
- Ability to develop and evaluate new product features, user interfaces, and ergonomic designs.
- Strong communication skills; a passion for collaborating with project teams internal and external.
- Knowledge of relevant human factors regulations, standards, and guidelines for medical devices and pharmaceutical labeling and packaging.
- Subject matter authority of principles and industry application of Medical Device and healthcare regulations for combination products and medical devices.
Experience & Requirements
- Experience handling digital files, assets, and maintaining traceability records as instruction files change during a human-centered design process.
- Experience working directly with customers to capture, synthesize and convert user research into concepts that differentiate products in the market.
- Experience contributing design related expertise to research conducted according to IEC 62366-1, IEC/TR 62366-2, ANSI/AAMI HE75, and FDA guidance on Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices.
- Master’s degree in Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Communication Design, Interaction Design or similar subject
- 6+ years of business experience, working in development organizations.
Senior Designer (6-10 years)
Benefits and perks
All of our team members, both contract and full-time, enjoy many benefits and perks, including:
- Competitive salary
- Employer-subsidized travel perks
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion best practices incorporated into all organizational workstreams
- New hire Friendtor program
- Home office equipment & supplies
- Telecom reimbursement
- Team events
Working in our corporate office? We have a lot of fun in our casual, laid-back offices! Whether you’re primarily on-site or occasionally stopping by, you’ll enjoy even more benefits, including:
- Free snacks and drinks
- Office dogs
- Happy hours and in-person team events
- Espresso machines, need we say more?
- Choice of medical insurance programs (PPO, HSA & HMO)
- Dental and vision insurance plans
- Short- and long-term disability, life, AD&D
- Pet insurance
- Potential for employee ownership
- 401K matching
- [Beginning Jan 1, 2023] 100% employer-paid health insurance (dental and vision included) for full-time employees, 50% employer-paid for spouse/dependents
- Monthly bonus plan
- Loyalty bonuses, including an every 5-year travel perk — take a vacation on us!
- Philanthropy hours
- Industry-leading parental leave policy
- Conference attendance & professional development
- Holiday office closure, generous PTO, paid holidays, personal, and sick time
Think you’re a good fit?
All visitors are required to wear a mask while in our offices and labs. Due to vaccine requirements by some of our clients and vendors, employees and contractors must provide vaccination status to human resources. This includes proof of vaccination or medical or religious exemption (if applicable).
Note: In the future, we hope to welcome candidates who require a VISA to work in the US, however, at this time we are targeting US citizens to fill available positions.
We work in virtually every industry across hundreds of products.
With a mentorship-model training program, we support your short and long-term career goals.
Incredibly collaborative and supportive team and fun and casual work environment.
A friendly face to help you through virtual onboarding and beyond!