We love working in this space! We’ve guided the evolution of artificial intelligence (AI) tools, identified their associated risks, and even wrote one of the first books on AI and UX. Our ongoing, multi-stage global projects are helping to shape the future of AI product design and policy. Let’s talk about your research questions!
Longstanding AI research expertise
Through years of research on AI and human-machine interaction, we have honed our approach to uncover user response to new technologies, helping to further understand how users expect them to work and translate those insights into products and features that meet user needs, increase engagement, and motivate delight.
Why AI needs UX
The usage and success of AI-enabled products depends on a great user experience; context, interaction, and trust are the prerequisites for AI adoption. We’ve studied how barriers to user trust can be overcome and how acceptance and conversion can follow. Our research has addressed areas including:
- Assessing GenAI capabilities for data management systems
- Understanding potential AI-human connectivity
- Measuring tools for trust & safety with AI technology
- Enabling dialogue around AI tools that don’t yet exist
We wrote the book
Our practice has been focused on the symbiotic relationship between UX & AI for years. Our founding partners published one of the first books on the topic in 2020, based on early work explorations of AI technology, across consumer electronics and healthcare.
Supporting your AI initiatives
The possibilities for AI are endless, but questions surrounding user interactions, affinities, and experience continue to abound. Our AI work has been ongoing, guided by the needs and ambitions of clients representing a range of industries. We employ a variety of UX research methods, including quant+qual, exploratory, and in-home ethnographic approaches, to uncover unique insights around AI and human-machine interaction. We also produce deliverables that take dynamic forms to best communicate AI-related findings and considerations.
Our work in this space has addressed a wide-variety of topics:
- Intent to adopt AI-integrated products
- Human-in-the-loop AI integration
- Natural-language processing
- Text to speech
- Natural language input refinement
- Use cases for generative AI
- Conversational AI outputs
- Generative AI outputs
- AI-optimization metrics
- CUJ benchmarks
- Competitive benchmarking
- Response to AI look and feel
- Prototype testing of AI-integrated products
Conversational user interface research
We specialize in delivering exceptional conversational user interface (CUI) research services. Designing effective, efficient, and easy-to-use interfaces is crucial as the demand for CUIs, such as voice assistants and chatbots, continues to soar.
We employ various proven research methods to generate a rich understanding of how users interact with CUIs and what motivates their behavior. Armed with these valuable insights, we help you to improve your CUIs so they align with your specific needs and goals.
- Discover the “why” of your customers through observations, interviews, and live testing.
- Improve your CUIs for existing customers and new users by understanding their expectations and behaviors.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your CUIs using various user testing methods.
- Enhance the overall user experience by integrating user feedback into your CUIs.
- Enhance your CUIs by making them more competitive and trustworthy.
- Analyze your competition and identify their strengths and weaknesses through our research and testing.
Research insights workshops
- Specialized workshops curated by our CUI research experts with 10+ years of field experience.
- We deliver in-depth explorations of topics tailored to your needs, such as understanding trust, designing for inclusivity, and humanness in CUI interactions.
Benefits of choosing us for CUI research
Improved user experience
CUIs designed with users in mind are more intuitive, efficient, and enjoyable, providing a seamless user experience. An improved user experience translates into positive brand reputation and repeat business.
Enhanced usabilityBy identifying and addressing usability issues early in the design process, our research helps you create CUIs that are easy to use, boosting customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Reduced development costsOur research saves you from costly fixes down the road by proactively identifying potential problems and streamlining the development process.
Uncovering global perspectives
We are leaders in using AI tools in UX research, understanding its past and shaping it for today and the future. In early 2023, our team launched a large-scale global study taking the pulse of the global UX research community to understand real and potential human-machine collaborations.
Read our latest news & insights
Discover how leading experts at CES 2024 navigated the complex landscape of AI innovation and risk governance, offering invaluable insights into launching AI products responsibly amidst evolving regulations.
Our CUI expert discusses the complexities of evaluating and improving UX in conversational AI, focusing on factors like personality, context, and conversation flow.
A global technology company wanted to collect feedback on potential in-product support features, scenarios, and concepts.
A global technology company wanted to drive buy-in for a new service that challenged existing assumptions.
A global technology company sought to understand user privacy and safety thresholds in a global qualitative & quantitative research study.
A global technology company sought to investigate ways to collaborate with intelligent technology to create customized and impactful outcomes for their users.
A Fortune 50 healthcare organization was developing an AI-enabled electronic medical record designed to improve providers’ situational awareness, communication, collaboration, and response.
A global technology company sought to understand how best to apply AI offerings across a suite of products.